Wednesday, March 27, 2013

healthy carrot cake muffin

I have been working on a healthier carrot cake muffin and I think I finally have it!!  These are dense, flavorful muffins that really satisfy my sweet tooth.

Healthy Carrot Cake Muffins

1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar substitute, I used splenda with fiber
1 cup shredded carrots
1 cup chopped apple
1/2 cup milk, can use almond or soy
2 eggs
1/4 cup coconut oil, could use any oil but I like the nutty taste of coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix dry ingredients together.  Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.  Mix will be thick.  Makes 12 muffins.  Bake 20-24 minutes until golden brown.

Per muffin: Calories- 135, Fiber- 3 g and Protein- 4 g

No comments:

Post a Comment